here and there

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Shipwreck , 7 layer or just Mom's survival dish

SHIP WRECK or 7 layer
Seems to be even our Prime Minister, Trudeau made this recipe but I could be wrong! 
Recently I was mentioning this recipe to my nephew’s wife who I have gotten to know and admired in the last year as a good recipe to do for her family!   
A recipe I prepared for supper on very busy days.  The boys especially loved this after returning from their competitive swim lessons.  To my surprise, when I made this when the kids were older, my middle son remarked “So this is what shipwreck looks like.”  After swim, his eyes would tear due to the chlorine in the water.

1 lb. hamburger, browned and drained
1- 2 medium onions
2 medium potatoes
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cup celery, dice
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 (14 oz.) can tomato soup
1 cup boiling water
Salt
Black pepper
Paprika

Slice onions and potatoes.  Butter a casserole dish and layer onions, potatoes, hamburger, rice, celery, carrots, adding salt, pepper and paprika to each layer. Add soup and water.  Cover and bake at 250-300 degrees for 3-4 hours.  Serves 4-6.  Option: Use mushroom soup instead of tomato.

This is the original recipe

 I started with this recipe, but never cooked the beef. 
 The recipe uses a casserole dish, but I found that a dutch oven worked well. 
 Use any hard vegetables as your veggie, parsnip, turnips and I always added a can of corn, or frozen corn.  Green peppers and celery can be added.  Any veggie that will take long cooking time.  Canned or fresh mushroom work too.  Some of the recipes suggest using a can of beans, but I never did.  Also some recipes use sausage or bacon..
 I found that as the kids grew older a can of spicy pasta sauce was nicer tasting and less calories that the canned soups.  I have also used diced tomatoes. 
 The recipe can also be done in a slow cooker.
 This reheats nicely, layer in a casserole with cheddar cheese as a topping.
 This recipe is great for a busy day!

No comments: