here and there

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Green Curry Sauce

Green Curry Sauce

Into my food processor went:
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/3 of a white onion
  • handful of fresh Cilantro
  • piece of fresh ginger
  • 3 tablespoon of lemongrass
  • 3 tablespoon of fish sauce
  • pepper
  • 2 large jalapeƱo and one green chile 
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of coriander and cumin, each
  • lime, whole

I will let it mellow and then decide what to do with the sauce.  I think it may need some sweetness but will decide before I use it.. The sauce has a lot of heat from the peppers!  Adding coconut milk may be a great solution!

In Wine and Food magazine

On Jean-Georges Vongerichten's most recent trip to Bangkok, he ate at a small restaurant where the waitress set out bowls of curry sauces alongside platters of cut-up raw vegetables, herbs and rice noodles. (You could also serve chicken or fish.) Customers assembled their own meals. At home, Vongerichten now offers several curries at the same time because he likes the balance of sweet, spicy and herbal flavor

The amount of sauce that the above makes is over a cup.. too smoking hot with the one chile pepper.  I used about 3 Tablespoons of the green curry sauce and about half a tin of coconut milk.. I find that the coconut milk loses it's flavour as it cooks so I added more at the end to keep that coconut taste.  I used 3 frozen chicken breasts, 3 tablespoons of the green curry sauce and about a half a tin of coconut milk.. I baked the chicken in a covered dish at 375 for an hour.  I pan steamed some Shanghai greens.. The Shanghai greens were packaged with garlic, oil and Oyster sauce.  They still had to be washed well. I usually do not buy packaged items as more costly but since these packages where being cleared out out at 50% off,   they were worth the price.
The chicken was lovely.  But I still have tons of the sauce left over. Considering freezing small portions for other dishes! Oh Dear! Just when I am trying to clear out my freezer!




No comments: