here and there

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Grandma's Raisin Nut Oatmeal Cookies





Couple of days ago, I had a delightful message on the telephone requesting the oatmeal cookies I had made while babysitting my grandchildren.  The messages talked about me making the " best cookies"!  

I had made a classic old recipe of my Mom's, Chocolate Chip cookies.. However, I could not find Chocolate Chips or Raisins at the time I had started the recipe, so I used what I found in the cupboard.   

I used chopped up mixed dried fruit (apples, apricots, cranberries) with walnuts to make 2 cups of mixed fruit and nuts.  

My granddaughter loved them!  Since I had reduced the amount of sugar due to all the sugar in the dried fruit, these cookies were a healthy snack.  

I was delighted with the message as I am not a big cookie maker, I used to find it most discouraging to have plates of cookies disappear soon after being baked.  However, my Mom made cookies frequently with an Oatmeal base.  She also reduce the amount of sugar as felt the amount of sugar in the recipes was unnecessary.  

















No comments: