here and there

Friday, April 4, 2014

Gnocchi


Gnocchi (nyawkee) has been on my list of things to make for a long time.  In thinking of a side dish for the Osso Buco that I was making for the next theme of Canadian Food Experience, I decided it was now the time to make this Italian dish.



 While in Rome Gnocchi was the dish that my daughter and I had shared in a restaurant called "Wanted" which was a couple of blocks from the Colosseum.  The Gnocchi was so tender and delicious in a creamy sauce that we shared this dish more than once during our stay.

The tenderness of the Gnocchi we tasted in Rome was what I was hoping to achieve with this recipe.


I was still able to buy potatoes from Saskatoon Farm this week and these where used in the gnocchi. A local farm producer.


Potato Gnocchi

1 kg of yellow flesh potatoes
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
grated parmesian cheese

Cook potatoes in salted water until tender but not overcooked
Rice the potatoes in a potato press while still warm.
Add salt, slightly beaten eggs and all the flour to the potatoes.
Mix with a wooden spoon.
Knead the dough for a few minutes until soft.
Divide the dough into 6 pieces
Roll out each ball into a rope, about 3/4 inch in diameter.
Cut into small pieces.



I found it easier to break off a small piece and roll in my hand.
Then to use a fork to make an impression in the dough.



Bring a pot with salted water to a rolling boil.
Drop in the Gnocchi and give a stir with a wooden spoon.
Boil unti the gnocchi rise to the surface, remove immediately with slotted spoon.
Toss them in butter.


The Gnocchi was tossed in Sage Butter.







  





No comments: