here and there

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Asian style Chicken burgers

A recipe called Turkey in the Slaw was posted in our Metro paper used ground turkey with Asian flavours.  I like to use Asian flavors with coleslaw and was anxious to try this recipe.


I used ground chicken that I had bought in the supermarket and did modify the recipe.

Burgers
1 lb chicken
1/4c diced red onion
2 -3 T of hoisin sauce
1 tsp Srirachi sauce
2 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp of sesame seed oil
chopped cilantro
1 grated med carrot

 Coleslaw
shredded cabbage
chopped red onion
 1 chopped apple
1 T hoisin sauce
1 tsp ginger minced
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1 tsp sirarchi sauce
chopped cilantro
sesame seeds
1 T of rice vinegar



I did not like the use of Hoisin sauce in the dressing as it did not add the "zing" to the coleslaw as suggested in the article.  I think I prefer the use of soya sauce in place of Hoisin as it gives the Coleslaw  a lighter and fresher taste.

Although chicken and turkey are a healthier choice than beef, the adding of all the other ingredients does add up in calories.  For example, Sesame seed oil is 130 calories per 15 ml.  I also can not get past the look and the feel of ground chicken when mixing it up into a burger.  I wonder if the texture of ground chicken or turkey is different if you do it yourself.  I certainly would like hearing from anyone that has ground chicken or turkey.







No comments: