here and there

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Chicken Meatballs


A recipe that I have been having great fun with was posted by Just One CookBook called Chicken Meatballs. This dish is called Tofu Hambagu in Japan.  It has tofu mixed into the ground meat and although you can see the tofu in the ground meat, once it's cooked, one does not know there is tofu in the meatballs.  In fact, I am yet to tell my husband that there is tofu in the meatballs. 


Ingredients
  • one package of Ground Chicken
  • Traditional firm Tofu, use half of the package 
  • 1-2 carrot, grated
  • 1-2 chopped green onion 
  • 1-2 Tbsp. of freshly grated ginger root
  • 1 egg
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Oil for cooking

Teriyaki Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 Tsp corn starch

In this recipe, I used carrots as I like the looks of carrots in the meatballs or meatloaf.   Nami from Just one cookbook uses bell peppers in her meatballs. 


  
Nami also wraps a paper towel around the tofu and lets it drain for 15 minutes. A suggestion from a Chinese friend was to freeze the tofu first as freezing seems to release more moisture,  When I had cooked some of the meatballs in the Cast iron pan on my BBQ, there was a lot of liquid which did eventually evaporate.   This also could have been because I had frozen half of the meatball raw.   

The meatballs were served with a teriyaki sauce which is delicious


I made a cold noodle salad to go with the Chicken Meatballs 






I have also mixed Tofu into my breakfast pork Patties, which also are fluffy and delicious.

Love this recipe!  



No comments: