here and there

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Spicy Lamb Burger

After two weeks of temperatures in the 30th, we are into cooler weather which I love as do our two dogs!

One of the recipes I have tried is a combination of recipes for Arayes. I had found fresh ground lamb in my supermarket and was anxious to try this. I have been doing a burger using minced lamb, feta cheese and fresh mint.  The mint that I had brought from my garden in Regina has grown as vigorously here in Calgary.   I seem to find all the recipes for fresh mint in the winter, so I am determined to use the fresh mint from my garden this year during the summer. Lamb and mint go perfectly together! 


Ground lamb 


Ingredients
  • one package of Ground lamb 
  • I finely chopped tomatoe 
  • 1grated carrot
  • 1/2 finely chopped onion
  • 1 egg
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Chopped mint, the more the better
  • 1 tsp Garam Masala, see below

Garam Masala
This recipe is a guideline from Epicurious.com. According to my friend in Winnipeg, every Indian cook has her own blend and fresh spices for blending are a must as are one's personal taste!  
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1-inch piece cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
    • /4 cup cumin seeds
    • 1/3 cup coriander seeds
    • 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
    • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
    • 2 teaspoons whole cloves
    • 1 dried red chile
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    Grated carrots and Fresh Mint added taste and color

    The instruction for Arayes, Lebanese stuffed Pita is to use this mixture of ground meat by  spread it very thinly inside an opened pita bread.  This stuffed pita can be  grilled, baked or fried!   However I could not open the purchased Pita Bread without tearing it, so I shaped kebabs from the ground meat mixture to grill!

    Meatball Kebabs

    The pita bread was still used but was wrapped around the Kebab. Since I had made Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and feta cheese, this was used as a garnish to the wrap. Fresh chopped mint was also added to the  wrap. 




    For these pictures, garden fresh lettuce, fresh Mint from my garden and grated carrots were used.   


    Summer Feast

    Delicious!

No comments: