here and there

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Coconut Chicken Squash Thai Soup


Using one of the Organic Green Squash from my brother's farm, I decided to make a squash soup.

The squash was baked at 350 for about 40 to 60 minutes. Using a fork, I had pricked the skin to allow steam to escape while baking, added a drizzle of olive oil and wrapped it in tinfoil





Scoop out the pulp from the squash when cooked.  Like my Mom always started her soups, saute onions until soft. Into a large pot, add the squash, grated fresh ginger, chopped hot pepper or dried red pepper flakes, lime leave, clove of garlic and the soften onions. 






A homemade chicken broth was added to the soup pot.   I tend to never use store bought stock as I like to see what's in it and control the amount of salt added to the stock


.  





The coconut milk I like to use is creamy and thick with little or no liquid. 



Using a hand blender, the whole mixture is blended.  I like to chop up some of the squash to add to the soup, as I like to see what I'm eating.  The chunks of chicken were added to soup. 

I garnished the soup with sautéed Shrimp and fresh basil which is optional!



No comments: