here and there

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Crusty Zucchini Rice Pie, a vintage recipe


One of my favourite past times is going through old newspaper clippings of recipes.  I think this must be an inherited trait as I have a an old Science scribbler that my Mom used to save clipped recipes from the newspaper.  



My cousin who is a food blogger, also features recipes in her blog that she has saved over the years. 

In organizing the most recent recipes, I did find a handwritten, well more like hen scratching as you certainly could not look up the recipe if you didn't copy it down correctly, so you had to be quick in writing the recipe.  I did try to find this recipe on line and was not successful!  The picture I posted on Gastropost, which is part of Canadian newspapers featuring photos from Instagram based on mission weekly challenges, remarked on the name. 






Having about a 1/4 of the giant zucchini left from my brother organic farm, I decided to make this as an appetizers for my son's birthday! 



Crusty Zucchini Pie


2 1/2c cooked rice
4 small zucchini 
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dill
Zest 1/2 lemon
fresh grated pepper
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese or Romana cheese
I added 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
and also grated carrots, garlic and onion





Method:
Mix everything together
Heat a skillet, add 2 T oil
Add mixture to pan, pat down, flip over, after 15 mintues, place under Broiler

I decided that I would do these as an appetizer and not bake in a pie plate.  The only problem I did have was that they did stick to the gratin dish which had been sprayed.

Now maybe if I had read the above method, I would not have had the mixture stick to the gratin dish when I baked it.

However, they are lovely as appetizers and I would still bake them but on parchment.



These tester were delicious and I looked forward to making then for my son's birthday.
I should have baked them before taking them with me as the container did drop and the liquid ran out. They were still good but not as good as they had been the night before.  The flavor of these babies was well received by the guests!


Here is my recipe that I would have copied in the eighties based on the paper used. 

Yes, the Zucchini Rice Pie would be crispy if it was cooked in a hot skillet! Much like the traditional Swiss Potato Dish called Rosti.  



No comments: