here and there

Friday, November 13, 2015

Shrimp and Scallop au gratin


While visiting my Aunt in Northern Ontario in 2008, she had made Shrimp au gratin using a recipe that had been given to her by a chef in the area.


Shrimp au Gratin made by my aunt



She used escargot dishes and boxed shrimp ring for this appetizer.   The appetizer is very easy to make and very impressive when served with fresh French Bread, not to mention delicious.



Northern Ontario







 Method

Her recipe suggests to cut up the shrimp into small pieces, but I like the looks of the whole piece of shrimp and she did to.



The escargot dishes were filled with pieces of shrimp

Put tiny pieces of garlic in the each hole
Sprinkle with parsley, dried or fresh chopped parsley.
Pour melted butter on top.  I used a mixture of Olive Oil and melted butter.
Cover with grated Mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes at 400


Aunt Florence enjoying the shrimp with dark rye bread






I decided to do this recipe for my husband's birthday.  I added a fresh scallop to the middle of the dish and baked it at a lower temperature as had other dishes in the oven.   





My table had been set but my grandchild thought it needed candles and that the wine glasses were perfect holders for the candles, all which were color coordinated, the blue in one glass, the white in another!



The littlest one at 7 months, just thought her blue plastic spoon was great!

















No comments: