here and there

Friday, November 27, 2015

Sweet and Sour Cabbage soup





With the temperature dropping in the Foothills, I've seen a few bloggers making Cabbage Roll Soup and posting their pictures on Instagram.
My Mom did do what she called "Lazy Cabbage Rolls" which was a casserole.

This recipe takes the Cabbage Roll Soup recipe a step further by adding some Asian Flavors. 








Sauté about a pound of ground meat, I used ground pork


To make this soup; I used 1/2 white Onion, fresh grated Ginger, 1/3 c Rice Vinegar, 1/4c Soya Sauce, hot chilies, Shiitake Mushroom, 1 clove of Garlic, fresh ground pepper, 1 -2 cup chopped Cabbage,1 can diced Tomatoes, 1/2 cup of rice.






Soften the chopped onions in about a tablespoon of Olive Oil





Add the rest of the ingredients, top with water.  I never use a purchased broth as I am not sure what is actually in the broth. I'm thinking pork chops for the stock in this soup would be awesome!   Water works just fine. Bring to boil and then simmer until rice cooked. 






I found that 1/2 cup of rice was too much, but my husband loved the soup thick. 
I also added a tin of Tomato paste as I thought it need more tomato flavor.




This makes a lot of soup, about 3 Litres. This recipe is a keeper.  In my husband's words, "Dam!  That is good soup!"

No comments: