here and there

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Traditional Steamed Pudding for Christmas




Christmas pudding is very much a Christmas tradition in our family.  My Mom made steamed pudding for every Christmas dinner.  Flaming the pudding became part of this tradition in my house when my children became teenagers. 

My steam pudding has dried fruit in the mixture, although I did add about a cup of deluxe mixed glazed fruit this year. 
I added about 1/2 cup of rum to the cut dried fruit to marinade.  Why, cause the prepared fruit can set until one is ready to steam it.
I like to used apricots, figs, peel, cranberries, ginger and raisins. 
I used about 4 cups of fruit.
   









I set up the two following pictures for the recipe in Canadian Living Christmas cookbook and realized as I was making it, that I never followed the instructions as they don't make any sense.  All my notes over the years are by the recipe.










The recipe instructions were to add the next ingredients to the prepared fruit!

3-4 c prepared dried fruit
1 1/2 c grated carrots
1 c suet
2 c flour
1 c brown sugar (only added 1/2c)


The spices 
1 tsp  ginger
1 tsp  cinnamon
freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves




The next step was to add the rest of the ingredients to the first mixture:

The spices
1 1//2 c grated potatoes
1/2 c pin cherry jelly
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
I added 1 tsp of vanilla

I did add 4 eggs as the mixture seemed very dry.  But the recipe does not add eggs

The way I have been making the recipe is to mix all the dry ingredients, add to the fruit mixture and then the grated vegetables and then the wet ingredients.   






Spoon into prepared moulds


Cover with tin foil and steam on a rack in a large pot or canner for 3 hours. Cool and freeze 


This picture and a blog by the Mennonite Girls Can Cook brought back memories of Mom canning her pudding in mason jars.    


http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16153/carrot-pudding/

No comments: