here and there

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Fermented Habanero Hot Sauce



In talking to a cousin in Manitoba, she told me she had tons of Jalapeño peppers this year and that she had already made and frozen Jalapeño poppers.  This conversation reminded me that I had Habanero peppers in my refrigerator and that I wanted to preserve.  Last year, I had made this recipe and it was dynamite.  Yes, it was so hot that only the wife of the Syrian family we had hosted for three weeks over the Christmas holiday could eat it.  The mixture did mild down and has incredible taste and flavor a year later.

The hot sauce can be used in salad dressings, stews, soups, tacos, burritos and mixed in mayo.

I purchased a bag of locally grown hot habaneros at our Italian supermarket, but not sure of the weight

Lacto Fermented Habanero Hot Sauce


  • Hot chilies, de stemmed
  • Garlic cloves
  • 2 Tablespoons Honey 
  • 1 c water with 2 Tablespoons coarse salt
  • 1/4 c cider vinegar

Pulse the hot chillies in a food processor to coarse 
Add honey, mix
Place in a clean mason jar


Pour water and salt over mixture
Stir well
Let sit at room temperature, with lid loosely on


Stir everyday
On fourth day, stir in the cider vinegar
Keep on the counter for 2 to 6 weeks then store in refrigerator 

Some of the hot sauce will be given away as Christmas gifts!

No comments: