here and there

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Twice Baked Potatoes


When my cousin from Thunder Bay texted me that she was making Twice Baked Potatoes to freeze similar to the ones she buys at M&M saying they were more work than making Pyrohy, it certainly got my interest.  My Mom made twice baked potatoes using left over oven roasted potatoes but never froze them. My cousin used grated cheese, bacon, onions along with the mashed potatoes to fill the potato shells. 

I did do a test run and froze a few potatoes using my Mom's recipe and found that they were delicious reheat. This was added to my Christmas Planning Menu 2016.

Whole potatoes were washed, pierced with a knife, oiled and then baked on a cookie sheet at 375 degree until fork tender, about an hour.

The potatoes were cooled and cut in half, removing the cooked potato.  








Add the cooked potatoes to a large bowl.
Mash the potato with sour cream, adding milk a bit at a time until potato fluffy



One chopped onion was added to the potatoes mixture. The onion was caramelized for extra flavor. The shells were filled with the filling, dots of butter were added to the top. Using a grater with cold butter works beautifully. Dust with Paprika!
The above is Mom's basic recipe


I did add a container of Cottage Cheese to the potato mixture but this is not necessary.

One could also add bacon, ham, grated cheese to the potato mixture, but the Twice Baked Potatoes are delicious without adding this. 



No comments: