here and there

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Tea Sandwiches , Tea Party for Kids



The last time, I made tea sandwiches was for my daughter's Bridal High Tea and I thought I would never make them again.  My friend who was helping me make the sandwiches laughed and said she always had a tea party with her three daughters. This was something I never did with one daughter.  My son asked if we could babysit while his wife was away for a week with her mother.   Although he was on holiday, he was still called in for meetings.   I thought a tea party would be a perfect solution for the all day babysitting.  

Since, I have lived on making lists all my life, even as a young girl, we started with writing a list of things to do for the party.  This was eagerly done by the almost 6 year old. 
With the oldest one going into Grade One, listening skills are most important and the planning and doing the Tea Party was a great way to work on this! 







First came finding the "correct" princess outfit but in the end, the snow white costume she has worn for many years won out!  The pink and gold dress
"hurt her eyes" LOL




The younger one wanted to try the dress on too!







Next came the picking out the tissue paper colours and decorating the pink straw hats with paper flower. 





Using a loaf of White Sandwich Bread, we made a variety of different shaped sandwiches.   


  • Mermaid Sandwiches with tuna salad, pulsed with a blender - Tuna Pate
  • Pinwheel Sandwiches with above tuna filling
  • Starfish Sandwiches with peanut butter
  • Flower Sandwiches with Liver Pate
  • Cucumber Dill Sandwiches with cream cheese
  • Radish Sandwiches with cream cheese
Naming sandwiches like Mermaid, Starfish, Flower did cause interest for a picky eater. 







My box of fancy cookie cutters came in most handy although we did need PopPop's strength to cut through the bread.  Rolling out the bread with a rolling pin would have helped, but just let say with one rolling pin, it was better to skip this step! 





Adding dried maraschino cherries to the top of Liver Pate certainly made this sandwich "very yummy" for the girls!









The proper way to hold the tea cup, with the pinky finger up was demonstrated to her sister.




"I'll hold my cup like this!"


















To the girls' delight, PopPop joined the Tea Party!
























No comments: