here and there

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Pickled Green Tomatoes with Green Adjika

 Last year, I came across Pickled Green Tomatoes with Adjika on Instagram 
and made a jar with the last of my green Cherry tomatoes and was pleasantly surprised how delicious these pickles were.  I used small tomatoes, but this year used medium side and Cherry tomatoes.  I grow tomatoes in a pot and like to grow a variety but this year have 4 mislabelled tomatoes plants that are all Cherry or Cocktail Tomatoes.   





The recipe shared with me from Europe 

"My fermented green tomatoes stuffed with green adjika. (that's a total fermenting spam 😉) Here in my location it's very popular in autumn when they pick up last tomatoes in the fields and kitchen gardens.  My adjika for stuffing is out of green and hot peppers, garlic, mint, celery, parsley, sage.  All stuffed tomatoes are put on celery and horseradish coat and pour with sweet & salt brine. Delicious!"





Last year, I added a horseradish leaf and celery sticks to the base. 
For the filling, I used dill, thyme, mint, parsley, hot jalapeño and garlic cloves and placed the stuffed tomatoes over the celery.  As I was pouring the brines, I wondered about the filling coming out.   Although some of the filling settled to the bottom of the jar, the tomatoes did have filling in the tomatoes.  The pickles were delicious, firm and tasted like pickled olives.  I did find the dill too strong of a flavour and did not use it this year.  The celery sticks are also  delicious. 

Green Adjika Filling

Use oregano, thyme, tarragon, garlic cloves and Jalapeños.
Pulse in the Food Processor 
Cut the top of the tomatoes and stuff the filling into the tomato
* use gloves to do this because of the hot chilies.

My hairdresser from Moldova who makes pickled Tomatoes says she hollows out the tomatoes to add a bit more filling.




I did not stuff the very small yellow lemon tomatoes or green tomatoes, just added them whole to the jar.  I used celery and Grape leaves for the base in the sterilize jars

Brine

  • 4 c water
  • 2 c vinegar ( I use half white and cider 
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 T pickling salt
Bring to boil and add to pickles

Refrigerate the pickles. 






No comments: