here and there

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Korean Sweet Pancakes, Hotteok, Hoddeok

 I find different cuisines fascinating and love been introduced to them through different bloggers.   I especially like when I can make some dish with the granddaughter when I babysit them.   I came across a recipe on Korean Sweet pancake and in reading the article found that this sweet pancake was a version of Cinnamon rolls.  Sweet dough that is stuffed with Cinnamon, Brown sugar and Walnuts.  




This Korean Street food originated from the Chinese living in Korea. This is a delightful video of different styles and ways of preparing this pancake which I found after make the Cinnamon and sugar filled pancake.  I was interested to find that you can cook them differently using little or a lot of oil and all so baking them.  The fillings varied also and the savoury pancake with dipping sauce looks delicious! 

Fried dough was something that my Mom would do when we out of bread and  her bread was not baked yet.  She would pan fry stretched out dough on a hot pan.  This was day before Pizza was part of everyone's diet!  I loved this bread with cheese whiz and the last one with home made jelly. 

Since I had refrigerator dough, I thought I would use this to maker this fried bread for a snack after school.   My grandchild informed me that her Korean grandmother had made them and that she "didn't like them".   And yes, they were filled with fruit and sugar!   But this grandmother knows that food is so much better and tastier if you make it yourself! 


Using the dough from the refrigerator, I let it come to room temperature. 

Roll out or stretch the dough so you can place a filling of cinnamon, walnuts and lots of brown sugar.   Currants were added to one of the pancakes as the youngest loves currants.


The filling is carefully sealed and added to a hot cast iron pan to fry in a bit of oil.  Don't worry if the seal is not perfect.  Using a spatula, press down on the bun shaped roll to form a flattened  pancake.   A circle tool much like the press for frying hamburgers is used.  I found the spatula worked fine, just make sure it is oiled and heated to press down the bread dough.  Fry the pancake until a golden brown and the kitchen is filled with the smell of cinnamon and sugar!



Since my oven was on, I finished the pancakes in the oven as I am not a fan of frying things. 

Serve warm and slice for the kids to enjoy! 

No comments: