here and there

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Rice Noodle Rolls , traditional along with a new twist!


I have been trying to make the Rice Noodle Rolls for a while, watched many video on YouTube and tried the different methods demonstrated.

I have persevered as I have had success in making crepes, Nalysniki  although I have never been able to make the paper thin crepes my mom would make. 


To the amusement of the Vietnamese Lady that was giving me a pedicure and only after seeing a picture of the Rice Noodle Rolls that I had posted on Instragram, she recited her recipe which I wrote down.  She felt I was making the crepes too thick, more like the Chinese method of making these crepes. 





Rice Noodle Roll Batter


  • 1 c Rice Flour
  • 1 c Tapioca Flour
  • 2 c warm water

Mix this together first, then add 

  • 1 1/2 -2 c cold water
  •     salt
Let the batter set for at least 10 minutes
Whisk before pouring as it does settle out
Heat the pan to medium heat, brush oil lightly with a paper towel*
Grease the top of the counter where you will flip the crepes when cooked  

Ladle a small amount into the heated pan to make a thin crepe
Swirl around to cover the whole pan



Cover with a lid to steam the crepe.


The crepes cooks quickly and should look translucent!

 




















Flip the crepe to the greased counter space or cutting board.
Work quickly to roll up the crepes with your filling.
Depending on the size of the roll, cut into 2 -3 pieces that are bite size.



I used two different skillets, one was a Teflon 9" and a Cast Iron 8".  The important thing is to have the pans at a correct heat and to lightly oil them with a paper towel.  If there is too much oil on your pan, the batter will not spread out well and if the pan is too cold the batter will stick. 

I used two different pans and found that the cast iron worked the best overall as it retained it's heat when taken of the heat to flip the crepes. 



If you are using a filling, like steamed shrimp or BBQ pork, the filling needs to be ready to go as the noodles stick together very quickly! 


Dipping sauce 
  • 2 T soya sauce
  • 2 T oyster sauce
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1/2 c water
  • minced fresh ginger
  • minced garlic


Since my grandkid was coming over after school for Piano practice, I saved some of the batter for my grandkid.  Since she doesn't  like shrimp, I decided to use canned apricots as a filling for this. The girls enjoyed this very much. The apricots had to be dried well before using in the noodle roll. 




The youngest who came later as her Mom had to work thought she was eating eggs!!



No comments: